The story of a four-year-old girl who died after her mother refused to administer the antidote to a drug overdose.
The Arizona Department of Health said the girl was found unconscious and in the bathtub in her family’s home on Friday afternoon.
Her mother, Lisa Lee, 32, of Scottsdale, Arizona, had been taken into custody on suspicion of child neglect, and her bond was set at $2 million.
According to the sheriff’s office, Lee was not allowed to speak with investigators and her attorney did not immediately return a message seeking comment.
An autopsy performed by the Coronavirus Center for Children and Families confirmed that the girl had taken a cocktail of drugs, including Ambien and Valium, and had died.
The state also found traces of the drug on the child’s skin and blood.
Lee’s lawyer, Michael Soskin, said in a statement that Lee has worked with children with developmental disabilities since 2007.
“She is a caring, compassionate individual, and has spent much of her adult life working to improve the lives of children and families affected by severe childhood illnesses,” he said.
In an interview with ABC News on Friday, Lee said she took the overdose when her daughter was just 4 years old.
She said she was afraid to administer medication because she did not want to upset her daughter’s mother, and that she took it to make sure the medication would work.
Lee said she did what she had to do to save her daughter.
She said she believes the family was trying to hide the substance because it was a drug that was highly addictive.
What I’m trying to do now is find out what happened.””
It’s been really difficult to explain.
What I’m trying to do now is find out what happened.”
Lee is a registered nurse who worked in Arizona for 12 years, the sheriff said.
Lee, a single mother, has worked as a registered sex offender for 17 years, according to the Corwin County Sheriff’s Office.
Lee was also a registered substance abuser, and she was sentenced to a 10-year prison sentence in 2014 for domestic violence and other crimes.